[OpenLayers-Users] free proxy wfs

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Tue Dec 17 13:29:05 PST 2013

The open proxy has been implemented a lot here in the Netherlands back in
the days when "the internet was a safe place".

I recently notified the security officer of a large governemental body of
this issue as I think handing out wildcards to use your servers as a proxy
is a no-go. He is looking into the problem.

In my opinion, a better solution would be CORS (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-origin_resource_sharing) but this would
mean that the (open) dataproviders will need some sort of policy to allow
applications access. I do however think thats the least-worse way to go, or
the data providers would have to set up a key validation mechanism.

Anyway, knowing who are consuming your services is not a bad thing. Neither
is telling a service provider that you are going to consume their service.