[OpenLayers-Users] how to project a flat image to spherical mercator EPGS:900013 to use in a Image Layer in openlayers

Matteo Galletti m.galletti at eldes.it
Mon Sep 23 06:34:03 PDT 2013

I have a flat 400x400 pixels image which represents an area of 400x400
kilometers. I need to draw this image as an overlay on my OpenLayers mapping
system. I use OpenStreetMap/Google Maps as base layers. I want to draw the
overlay image using an Image Layer and I want to center my overlay image at
a specific lat/lon point. The projection of the base layer is EPSG:900913
which is, in fact, the projection used by OpenStreetMap and Google Maps.

What I have understood (please correct me if I'm wrong), is that I can't use
a flat, 'unprojected' image as an Image Layer, but I have to do a sort of
'reprojecting' to adjust the image to be compliant with the projection of
the map, which is EPSG:900913. Searching here and the net, it seems I should
use a library/tool called GDAL to do this, but whereas I am completely new
to this I ask you:

-          Can anyone address me on how to use it?

-          Could you possibly tell me if what I have just said is correct
and the way I described here is valid?

-          How could I use gdal to translate my flat unprojected 400x400
pixels image to an image projected in EPSG:900913, and suitable to be put as
an Image Layer as an overlay?

Thanks.

Matteo Galletti