[OpenLayers-Users] Add background features to map

maven apache apachemaven0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 22:49:51 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:30 PM, Phil Scadden <p.scadden at gns.cri.nz> wrote:

>   And unfortunately we ​do not serve any wms server at the  moment, and I
> am afraid that importing geoserver or other wms server in our project will
> be almost impossible.
>

> Then are SERIOUSLY up against it. Very large geometries and javascript
> without some kind of tile server is total nightmare. Browsers just cant
> hack it, nor can internet data transfer rates.  How were you proposing to
> fetch the vectors?

​You may misunderstand me. While I say we do no use any wms server out of
box, it does not means we do not use any gis related libraries, in fact we
use geotools in our project.

And as I mentioned, we provider two kinds of service(built on geotools) to
fetch vector features:

1 /tile/z/x/y.geojson?layer=water,landuse,roads...  will serve the features
for certain layers within the extend of the tile defined by the x,y,z.

2 /feature.geojson?bbox=....&layer=   will serve the features within the
bounding box(in strategy 2, the bbox would be the extent of the
map(viewport)).

 While you say we can rely on everyone to have chrome, that's absolute
true!! That's another question which confusing me, the smaller the zoom
level, the more the features, so we consider to simplify the features, but
we are not sure it should be done in the client or in the server.
​