[OpenLayers-Users] a whole LOT of points!

Phil Scadden p.scadden at gns.cri.nz
Mon Jan 26 14:29:13 PST 2015

 > can ol2 (or 3) similarly cluster a 200 mb geojson file?

very slowly.
> i want to avoid maptiler but what are the options for creating custom
> tiles in ol?
ol consumes tiles served by a map tiling service. It doesnt create them.
The value of tile servers is that they move the rendering and querying
of spatial databases off the client which is slow at both (can only
query a spatial database by reading the whole thing into memory). I dont
know your objection to maptiler or geoserver or any of the other tiling
servers around, but if you create a custom service, you can fetch them
into OL by overriding getURL method.

 >agree. but how does clustering happen with a 200 mb geojson file?
doesn't it need to load everything in memory first? if it is chunked,
 >how does ol know what chunk to call next (or asynchronous streaming of
vectiles as max said.
http://mattmakesmaps.com/blog/2013/10/09/tilestache-rendering-topojson/
uses a postgis backend that i can't use)?

If the application is online, then I cant really understand why you dont
use a server. Clustering can happen serverside too and then you dont
have any 200mb files on the client. I am frankly of the opinion that you
cant do 1m point mapping without using serverside processing.

 >this talks about a timer and filtering the visible points server-side
by configuring a strategy option to the vector layer. i can't filter
 >server-side, just have a 200 mb geojson to map.

Then I think you are stuffed. You need to rethink to get the geojson
managed serverside - preferably into a spatial database. If the
application is online, then you have a server. Use it.

Notice: This email and any attachments are confidential.
If received in error please destroy and immediately notify us.
Do not copy or disclose the contents.