[OpenLayers-Users] a whole LOT of points!

Harris Hudson hhudson at katmandu.org
Mon Jan 26 14:57:00 PST 2015

Due to network download speeds/data volume and browser vector
rendering limitations, I resorted to a compromise by using
BBOX strategy and server side clustering/filtering in an OL2
application I did a while ago to handle a layer of more than
70,000 points (but with still some limitations for older browsers).

The current application response time is a little poor but that
is due simply to old server hardware it is currently running
on (once the backend is upgraded in a few months time, most map
requests will be sub-second) - from the front end, using a
compromise of server side clustering/filtering, the OL2 side
of things can give the illusion of handling a huge number of
points.

http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/site_proximity.main_page