[OpenLayers-Users] a whole LOT of points!

Martin Davis mtnclimb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 09:26:08 PST 2015

I also ended up using server-side rendering in an application for
displaying crime incident points.  Doing the map rendering server-side also
allowed nice features such as enforcing access security and rich symbology.

We wrote our own very simple map service, rendering points from a database
query onto an image.

We didn't even use a spatial database - for X,Y data simply using standard
B-tree indices was plenty fast enough.