[OpenLayers-Users] Changing projection to match a dataset

Robert Sanson Robert.Sanson at asurequality.com
Wed Oct 14 15:58:25 PDT 2015

Hi Jonathan

The best approach is generally to set the map projection to be that of any raster base map, as rasters are much harder to re-project on-the-fly. If you are using an OpenStreet map or Google base map, then you will be forced to use that (Spherical Mercator) projection.

How are you loading your Irish grid data? Do you have Mapserver / Geoserver, or are you loading something like a GeoJSON or WKT file? If you are using a Web server like Mapserver or Geoserver, then the map server should be able to reproject your Irish grid data to be that of the base map. If you are loading a vector file directly into OpenLayers, then OpenLayers can re-project it to the projection of the base map using proj4js.

Regards,

Robert