[osgeo4w-dev] Installer Improvements

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sat Apr 12 21:16:47 EDT 2008

Folks,

I have made some fixes to the OSGeo4W installer.  Most notably:

  o Express install now properly installs all dependencies.

  o Express install no longer requires you to select "download.osgeo.org" as
    your mirror the first time through.

I have also packaged the installer as an OSGeo4W package ("setup", currently
under "Commandline_Utilities".  I'd like to consider making it a standard
part of the install.  The main benefit is that the installer appears in the
OSGeo4W area on the Programs menus so folks can more easily find it to do
updates, or install more packages.

The main annoyance with installing it as a package is that it can't replace
itself while it is running when there are updates which produces a confusing
error message.

I believe the installer still doesn't do automatic upgrades in express install
mode, but other than that I think express mode is now fully operational.
Testing welcome!  I think we are getting to a point where we should encourage
somewhat wider use of OSGeo4W with the understanding that we are still in
beta mode.