[osgeo4w-dev] EPPL7 problem still exists

Yewondwossen Assefa yassefa at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Sep 16 11:27:35 EDT 2008

Couple of thinks to check:

   doing a  gdalinfo --formats , you should be able to see in that list:

   ECW (rw): ERMapper Compressed Wavelets
   JP2ECW (rw+): ERMapper JPEG2000

  That would tell you that the gdal plugin for ecw (
gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll) is properly installed, and also that the the ECW
related dlls are installed properly (from the ERMapper SDK).

  If that is the case, I am assuming that there is something wrong with
your ecw file.

  If you don't the ECW support in the list of formats, that would
suggest that there is something not installed properly (some tips: make
sure that you have  osgeo4w/bin/gdalplugins/gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll, make
sure that the folder (contaning NSCEcw.dll ...) of the SDK you installed
are in your path, according to
http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/wiki/pkg-gdal-ecw ).

Best Regards,

Derek Bain wrote:
> Hi Assefa
>
> Thanks for the reply. Tried gdalinfo and that failed. Tried on jpeg2000
> file and that failed as well. Tried on GeoTiff and that worked ok.
>
> See below for output
>
> C:\OSGeo4W\bin>gdalinfo d:\test_maps\data\Mosaic_0.ecw
> ERROR 4: `d:\test_maps\data\Mosaic_0.ecw' not recognised as a supported
> file format.
>
> gdalinfo failed - unable to open 'd:\test_maps\data\Mosaic_0.ecw'.
>

> Thanks
>
> Derek

Assefa Yewondwossen
Software Analyst