[osgeo4w-dev] How to contribute with small things? + trac default reply-to settings

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Mar 24 15:29:22 EDT 2009

 >> I wonder how to help out with trivial fixes such as
 >> http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/58
 >> ? I could solve it perhaps in a few minutes.
 >
 > Markus,
 >
 > One issue with fixing a package someone else has prepared is
 > that next time they regenerate it, they are likely to lose any
 > changes you made.  For this reason I think it should normally
 > be the packager responsible for a package that takes care of fixes.
 > In cases where the packager can no longer keep up, I think it would
 > be best to "officially" pass ownership to a new person to do work
 > on it.

What about having packages in svn? It strikes me this is one of the
scenarios shared version control is designed to solve. If the volume of
packages is too large to share svn space with osgeo4w proper perhaps a
packages branch? or repository?

I've also considered asking for packages-in-svn so I don't have to
download the whole thing when just a batch file or two have been
modified (I regularily run too close to my monthly bandwidth quota for
comfort).

just thinking out loud,

matt wilkie
Geographic Information,