[osgeo4w-dev] Python GIS programming environment under Windows

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Wed Dec 15 19:57:22 EST 2010

On 15/12/2010 3:42 PM, Gilles Bassière wrote:
> I don't understand why the GDAL Python bindings are not made
> available on the python path by the gdal-python

They should be available if you work from within OSGeo4W shell
(OSGeo4W.bat, which calls bin\o4w_env.bat and etc\ini\*.bat). If you
don't use the o4w shell then you need to create the environment in some
other way, as Alex does.

As to why: o4w consciously strives to be self contained and not
interfere with existing windows programs or registry settings. It allows
side-by-side installs with things like ArcGIS and running from a dvd or
usb device.

That said I think it would be helpful to have an optional package to
provide integration for those that want osgeo4w python, and other
packages, to be the system default.

cheers,

matt wilkie
Geomatics Analyst