[osgeo4w-dev] OSGeo4W-setup or PC error???

Matt Wilkie matt.wilkie at gov.yk.ca
Tue Jul 10 15:18:19 PDT 2012

> QGIS in osgeo4w must be launched via .bat files so that the paths are
> set properly. Look for qgis.bat and qgis-dev.bat
Oh that's interesting, there is qgis-dev.exe as well as qgis-dev.bat,
which means the .bat file will never run unless invoked with full path.
The run precedence order is normally .com, .exe, .bat[1].

In any case, on my machine I get the same dll load error when attempting
to start qgis-dev, regardless of using the .bat or .exe. I can't rule
out an incomplete install problem though because of a recently
discovered apt bug[2], which is how I installed qgis-dev.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/605101/order-in-which-command-prompt-executes-files-with-the-same-name-a-bat-vs-a-cmd
[2] http://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo4w/ticket/300

cheers,