[Oskari-user] Oskari 2.2.0 released!

Mäkinen Sami (MML) sami.makinen at maanmittauslaitos.fi
Mon Mar 8 04:33:56 PST 2021

Good news everyone,

We released Oskari 2.2.0 today and it is now available on GitHub (https://github.com/oskariorg) and Oskari.org Maven repository. The sample application package has been updated on the download link in Oskari.org (https://oskari.org/download) and http://download.osgeo.org/oskari/. As always you can take a peek at the latest at https://demo.oskari.org/.

The major changes in this version are:

  *   new service announcements functionality that can be enabled on your app by adding the new bundle to it
  *   administrators now have a visual style editor for vector layer styling
  *   new end-user UI to present scattered time-series data in a better way than the previous linear time-series. The admin now has options how to present time-series data

We've also worked quite a bit on making the RPC-example app more maintainable for the devs and more accessible for the end-users by improving the content. You can now link to a specific example instead of just the start page. We'll continue working on it and there's still lots of things to improve but just letting you know it's a bit better now than what it was. Here's the link to the examples: https://oskari.org/examples/rpc-api/rpc_example.html#/ and here's the repository if you feel like helping out with the docs yourself: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-vuerpc (src/pages has the new stuff).
Release Notes
oskari-frontend

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-frontend/milestone/29?closed=1

  *   Fixed build issues that were caused by updates on dependency libraries after 2.1.0: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-docs/issues/241
  *   Added a new bundle announcements (and corresponding admin-announcements) that can be used to show messages/service announcements for end-users when the page is loaded.
  *   Optimize printing to drop references for hidden (or fully transparent) layers.
  *   VectorLayerRequest now supports min/max zoom levels to limit visibility of features on the layer.
  *   Fixed an issue where sending a VectorLayerRequest with remove: true and an unrecognized layerId added a layer instead of ignoring the request. If the layerId was recognized the layer was removed correctly. Now the request is ignored for unknown layers.
  *   Added a "Modal" component wrapper for AntD modal in oskariui.
  *   Tuned end-user messages when search returns more results than we are shown on both embedded map and geoportal.
  *   Fixed an issue with layer list filters.
  *   Tuned the map loading indicator/progress bar.
  *   Fixed an issue with selecting/unselecting vector features with clicks.
  *   Replaced icons on hierarchical-layerlist and corresponding layer admin functionality.

Time series layers (WMS-T)

Added new options for time series layers configuration. Admins using the admin-layereditor bundle can now configure what controls to show the end-user for time series layer:

  *   the previously implemented "player" UI
  *   a new "range selection" UI
  *   set the layer to ignore time series data (not show any additional controls for the end-users for time series).

The "range selection" is a new UI that helps showing data that is scattered in time and location. An example of this can be orthophotos where the photos are not taken periodically (~yearly) for the whole area (~country) and the data could be from only one region on current year and the next region has data for the following year or a couple years from that. The end-user is allowed to select a range of years that are used as a WMS-T time-parameter giving the end-user view of the data of selected year range. The admin can also link a WFS-layer that will be used as index metadata for the scattered data. The linked WFS-layer is queried for features on the current viewport and based on the attribute data of the features the range selection is enhanced by only highlighting years that have data for the current viewport instead of based on the whole WMS-T time series data.

Image from admin UI: https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/1997039/102089581-1a3f4c00-3e25-11eb-8d8b-052f7b0e9845.gif

Note! This will be further developed for the next version.

Vector style UI for admin-layereditor

This version adds a new React-based component that can be used to define styles for vector layers. This component has been added to the map layer admin UI in addition to the current JSON-field so we can test it more before migrating the end-user style editors from the current jQuery-based ones to the new implementation. The JSON-field for styles works like before and using the visual editor changes the content of the JSON-field. Having both enables using fancy things like conditional styles (using the JSON field) and helps us make sure that the visual editor works properly and only modifies parts of the style JSON that the visual editor recognizes, ignoring and keeping the JSON-keys that it does NOT recognize.

Also fixes some issues with selecting a default style for a WFS-layer.

Other changes for admin-layereditor

  *   Legend image urls can now be configured/overridden for each style a layer has.
  *   Parsed capabilities JSON is now available for viewing on the admin UI (helps debugging potential problems)
  *   Fixed an issue where adding a duplicate layer from a service was not possible because confirmation was shown "behind" the UI window preventing admin from seeing it and proceeding.
  *   Added UI toggles for 3D tileset layers to allow more control on how Cesium renders the tilesets
  *   Update libraries:
     *   AntD 4.3.3 -> 4.8.5
     *   Cesium 1.74 -> 1.77
     *   olcs 2.11.3 -> 2.12
     *   ol-mapbox-style 6.1.4 -> 6.3.1
  *   Tested updating OpenLayers 6.4.3 -> 6.5.0 but due to point symbol clipping on vectortiles we needed to rollback. The issue has been fixed for the next OpenLayers version but a version including the fix hasn't been released yet.

Upcoming changes!

We currently have multiple implementations for map layer listing and admin functionalities. We are planning on removing some of the unmaintained ones after 2.2.0 and I'll send an email for this on the mailing list so we everyone following it is aware of this and can affect the decision.

oskari-server

For a full list of changes see: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/milestone/28?closed=1

  *   Added server side handlers and registrations for new functionality called announcements.
  *   Reduce logging for common errors like client disconnecting during response writing etc.
  *   Fixes for analysis functionality.
  *   Added a new handler for getting configured metadata for a Vector feature source/WFS/OAPIF: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/pull/670. Metadata includes things like:
     *   attribute names and value types
     *   localized names for attributes
     *   name of the geometry field

Note! There are multiple previous implementations that return parts of the same metadata (listed in the PR) that will be deprecated and the frontend will be migrated to use the new one on future releases.

  *   Added logic for an option to show a WMS-layer with timeseries without the time controls (as regular layer).
  *   Added support for GFI response type/info-format application/json.
  *   The group hierarchy depth for hierarchical layer listing can now be configured in oskari-ext.properties with layerlist.hierarchy.maxdepth instead of being hard-coded (defaults to 2).
  *   Changed my places label from Link to More information to match the form label when adding/editing features.
  *   Improved legend image handling for map layers:
     *   Admin can now override/add a legend image url for each style for the layer (previously there was just one field)
     *   Legend-related configs are now stored in oskari_maplayer table options column under legends key
  *   Added a plugin mechanism for tracking proxied requests to map layer services. This enables adding access audit logging on application code: https://github.com/oskariorg/oskari-server/pull/687
  *   Add initial implementation for checking if a map layer is used by some functionality so we can notify admin about it when removing the layer etc. Currently only checks if layer is used as a timeseries metadata layer, but this can be improved in the future to include notifying usage in embedded maps, region sets in thematic maps etc.
  *   Changed the Maven repository path for Oskari artifacts under oskari.org (The old one is redirected to the new one and works as well but we migrated away from Nexus so it makes sense to change the path to not reference it).
  *   Upgraded libs:
     *   GeoTools 23.2 -> 24.2 fixing an issue with some Shapefile imports
     *   JTS 1.16.1 -> 1.17.1
     *   Spring framework 5.2.8.RELEASE -> 5.3.3
     *   Spring security 5.3.4.RELEASE -> 5.4.2
     *   Spring session Dragonfruit -> 2020.0.3
     *   Flyway 6.5.5 -> 6.5.7
     *   Jedis 3.3.0 -> 3.5.1
     *   MyBatis 3.5.5 -> 3.5.6
     *   commons-dbcp2 2.0.1 -> 2.8.0
     *   Removed unused com.googlecode.lambda/lambdaj
     *   Removed unused com.github.jsonld-java/jsonld-java

That's all for now. Stay safe and happy updating,

     Sami