[OWSLib-devel] nextRecord missing

David Read david.read at hackneyworkshop.com
Tue Oct 22 04:33:37 PDT 2013

Have any of you encountered a CSW Server that doesn't give a
nextRecord value when doing a GetRecords request? I'm using OWSLib to
talk to it and it gives an exception and I have a patch I can push
that'll avoid the exception. But is that what we want it to do?

The server is running "Conterra sdi.suite". Apparently Conterra's view
is that it is best practice for the client to keep track of where it
is up to, and not to rely on the server, and so they adhere to the XSD
schema rather than the guidance on this particular issue.

The schema http://schemas.opengis.net/csw/2.0.2/CSW-discovery.xsd says
it is OPTIONAL:

<xsd:attribute name="nextRecord" type="xsd:nonNegativeInteger" use="optional"/>

yet the spec it claims to reflect says it is REQUIRED:

http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=21460

<xsd:attribute name="nextRecord"
                     type="xsd:nonNegativeInteger"
                              use="required"/>

Is the XSD (and therefore Conterra) simply wrong? Or is this justifiable?

BTW here's my patched version of OWSLib running:

    >>> from owslib.csw import CatalogueServiceWeb as cs
    >>> c=cs('https://gateway.ceh.ac.uk/soapServices/CSWStartup')
    >>> c.version
    '2.0.2'
    >>> c.getrecords2()
    >>> c.results
    {'matches': 291, 'nextrecord': None, 'returned': 10}

David