[pdal] Uninteresting in JSON

Rory Sutton s_rory at bellsouth.net
Wed May 22 17:51:01 PDT 2013

I have PDAL compiled on osx and it seems to be working.  It passes tests:

rjs$ make test
Running tests...
Test project /Users/rjs/pdal/makefiles
    Start 1: pdal_test
1/1 Test #1: pdal_test ........................   Passed    2.29 sec

100% tests passed, 0 tests failed out of 1

Total Test time (real) =   2.30 sec
rjs$ pcinfo --help
pcinfo (PDAL 0.8.6 with GeoTIFF 1.4.0 GDAL 1.9.2 LASzip 2.1.0)

It does most of the exercises:

 rjs$ pcinfo ~/Downloads/interesting.las -p 0
{
    "X": "637012.23999999999",
    "Y": "849028.31000000006",
    "Z": "431.66000000000003",
    "Intensity": "143",
    "ReturnNumber": "1",
    "NumberOfReturns": "1",
    "ScanDirectionFlag": "1",
    "EdgeOfFlightLine": "0",
    "Classification": "1",
    "ScanAngleRank": "-9",
    "UserData": "132",
    "PointSourceId": "7326",
    "Time": "245380.78254962614",
    "Red": "68",
    "Green": "77",
    "Blue": "88"
}

But not metadata in JSON:

rjs$ pcinfo ~/Downloads/interesting.las -m
Caught exception: <unspecified file>: ptree contains data that cannot be represented in JSON format

Metadata in XML works perfectly.  All LAS/LAZ files i've tried this on have the same result.

Doug Newcomb posted to this list on the same behavior last August, and his last word on it was that he was putting in a bug report.  It almost seems like I'm missing a component or something.