[pdal] Uninteresting in JSON

Howard Butler hobu.inc at gmail.com
Fri May 24 09:21:54 PDT 2013

On May 22, 2013, at 7:51 PM, Rory Sutton <s_rory at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Metadata in XML works perfectly.  All LAS/LAZ files i've tried this on have the same result.

This is a deficiency of boost's property_trees that when serialized to JSON, they don't expand out attributes into JSON-compatible structures.

The right way to fix this is to come up with our own serialization/deserialization of Metadata and any other PDAL data structures that isn't dependent on property_tree's implementation. Or, we could monkeypatch the json serializer of property_tree to do something appropriate with the <xmlattr> that are getting put into the tree.  This is all definitely on the want-to-fix list, I just haven't had it bubble to the top of the queue because I use the XML variant for everything.