[pdal] Inconsistency between docs and functionality in las.writer

Kristian Evers kreve at gst.dk
Mon Dec 21 01:51:53 PST 2015

I have noticed a slight inconsistency between the docs and the functionality of las.writer and now wondering which one is wrong.

On http://www.pdal.io/stages/writers.las.html it says that the default value of the option minor_version is 3, but in reality when you do a 'pdal translate' without specifying any options you get a las/laz file with format version 1.2. The source code confirms this in line 69 of io\las\LasWriter.cpp:

m_minorVersion.setDefault(2);

It's a minor detail, just wondering if the docs or the code needs to be changed. Was it the intention to write las-files with minor_version=3? I'll do a pull request with a fix once I know if the docs or the code is correct. Personally I think that the default minor_version should be 3, as it says in the docs.

Best regards,

Kristian Evers
Geophysicist
Geographical references
kreve at gst.dk<mailto:kreve at gst.dk>

Danish Ministry of Energy, Utilities and Climate
Agency for Data Supply and Efficiency