[pdal] How to handle las files that don't fit in memory

Tom van Tilburg tom.van.tilburg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 23:25:08 PST 2015

Hi Andrew,

Reading my initial email it occured to me I should have been more verbose
on my problem. I wrongly took the splitter filter as an example, should
have been chipper. Sorry for that.

What I am trying to reach is to load a bunch of ~3Gb laz file into
pgpointcloud and therefore they need to be chipped in chunks of ~400
points. I know the chipper wouldn't do streaming so cutting the laz files
into smaller blocks (like cropping) before starting the chipping would make
sense I thought.

I will look into increasing the swap but I don't have a good feeling about
it since we already have 30 Gb of swap and a previous loading attempt with
a similar dataset but with smaller laz files already took us weeks (running
parallel) to chip and load.

Thanks for your effort.