[pdal] PDAL with PCL Installation

Matthew Hanson mhanson at appliedgeosolutions.com
Wed Jan 7 09:41:58 PST 2015

Hello all,

I've been having some difficulty installing PDAL with PCL support and I'm
not sure where to go next after my last attempt.

I'm installing on Ubuntu 14.04, using PDAL master.  First I compiled and
install the pipeline branch of PCL, after installing these dependencies:
libeigen3-dev libflann-dev libopenni-dev libvtk5.8-qt4 libqhull-dev qt-sdk
libvtk5-qt4-dev libpcap-dev python-vtk libvtk-java git cmake
libboost-all-dev libgdal0-dev

Then I compiled PDAL with cmake:
cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" ../ -DBUILD_PLUGIN_PCL=ON

The output from cmake and from make all looks ok. However any pdal command
segfaults.  I saw reference to this in a November post:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/pdal-segmentation-fault-td5174183.html

However I've not gone down the road of manually compiling boost with c++11,
which perhaps is the next step, although I'd rather not have to.

However, all this has just been too much work so I figured I'd give the
vagrant setup a try.  But when I go to vagrant up I get 'trusty64' not
found and a bad URL.   I updated the URL in my VagrantFile as described in
this issue:

https://github.com/Varying-Vagrant-Vagrants/VVV/issues/354

But the URL is still bad.

I'm looking to use 'pdal ground', as well as 'pdal view'.  Is there a
stable branch or tag I should be using?  Or any other solutions to the
problems above?

Thanks!

Matthew Hanson
Applied GeoSolutions