[pdal] decimation-visualization

Bradley Chambers brad.chambers at gmail.com
Fri Jan 9 13:06:30 PST 2015

Accidentally replied directly to Matthew on this one. Moving the
conversation back to the mailing list...

<mhanson at appliedgeosolutions.com>

> As a quick way to visualize a point cloud, how could I run pdal view, but
> run it through the decimation filter beforehand.   Can I do that without
> writing to a new file?

You've got a couple of options, and I'll be honest, the one I'm about to
suggest actually appears to be broken at the moment, so I'll be taking a
look at it.

You could use `pdal translate` with the `--visualize` switch, which will
display the result in the viewer. For example:

    $ pdal translate -i /path/to/input/cloud -o /path/to/output/cloud
--d_method VoxelGrid --visualize

The output file is currently required, although we could discuss making
this optional.

You can read about some of the decimation options by typing `pdal translate
--help`. They're at the bottom.

You could also construct a pipeline terminating with the
`writers.pclvisualizer` stage, and call it via `pdal pipeline -i
/path/to/pipeline`.

If you haven't seen this already, it may help.

http://www.pdal.io/tutorial/pcl_ground.html

Much of what it describes will apply to translate/decimation as well (e.g.,
running the filtering kernel directly, invoking the --visualizer to view
results, running as a pipeline/pclblock to fine-tune filtering, etc.).