[pdal] Riegl extrabytes stripped

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 09:18:48 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:

> Ah, there it is!
>

> --readers.las.extra_dims="amplitude=uint16,pulse_width=uint16"
>

> I completely missed that option. I expected PDAL to just transfer the
> complete data records when running a basic read-write pipeline, but the way
> it works makes sense when you think about the format-independent nature of
> PDAL. It is a bit cumbersome to use the extrabytes in las version earlier
> than 1.4. For now I am stuck with version 1.3 and will just have to pay
> extra attention when reading/writing files.

It's hard to know what should be handled as the "normal" case.  When you're
just working with LAS, it seems like PDAL should know what to do, but even
then it's not clear.  As an example to go with your case, if you're using
PDAL to construct some extra dimension that you wanted written out as extra
bytes with each record, you certainly don't want the LAS_Spec/4 VLR
forwarded or the existing extra bytes just tacked on.  We try to make the
common things easy, but sometimes what's common for one person isn't for
others.  Perhaps other times we just didn't anticipate well.

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com