[pdal] Riegl extrabytes stripped

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Mon Oct 3 12:49:50 PDT 2016

Sure, I totally agree with that. I think what confused me here was that I knew that the VLR and extrabytes were related (though PDAL does not know that) and just assumed that the extrabytes would be passed along when adding the writers.las.forward=vlr option. Now that those two things have been decoupled in my mind I think it is very reasonable what PDAL does. And I believe my two initial questions has been answered very nicely.

1.       No, it would not make sense change the behavior regarding the LASF_Spec VLR’s

2.       Yes, I had overlooked the extra_dims option in the las reader/writers

This has been a very fruitful discussion for me. As per Howards suggestion I am working on a tutorial that explains this stuff in more detail and hopefully others will find this easier in the future.

Thanks,

Kristian