[pdal] Threading and PDAL

Jason Beverage jasonbeverage at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 07:06:15 PDT 2017

I'm running into some threading issues with PDAL that I could use some help
with.  I'm running into some random crashing using PDAL in a multithreaded
manner.  I understand that PDAL isn't entirely threadsafe, but do you have
some info on what is and isn't threadsafe?

Basically what I'm trying to do is multiple threads are creating Stages
using a shared StageFactory and each thread is running it's own independent
pipeline.  The only thing that is shared is the StageFactory which is
static for the application.  I've got access to the StageFactory protected
by my own mutex since I was getting crashes accessing it from multiple
threads.  I tried creating a StageFactory per thread but that caused other
issues like stages randomly not being able to be able to be created and it
not loading my plugins all the time.

Right now I'm using the OSGEO4W 64 bit package to get PDAL and all of it's
dependencies and building my application against that.  It looks like the
pdal version is 1.5.0 which is the latest release.

Thanks!

Jason