[pdal] [PDAL] Behaviour of filters.crop with and without SRS

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Mon Jul 24 08:46:02 PDT 2017

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 10:15 AM, GUIMMARA, Sébastien (External) <
sebastien.guimmara.external at airbus.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I stumbled upon a strange behaviour using the crop filter. The results are
> very different when I specify a spatial reference in the LAS reader, and
> when I omit one.
>

> When I specify a spatial reference (EPSG 2286, units in feet), the crop
> consumes all points, leaving an empty dataset, even if the cropping bounds
> are equal to the actual dataset bounds (given by pdal info). However, when
> I omit the spatial reference, the crop filter behaves as expected.
>

> I use a cropping rectangle via the bounds parameter, and the values are
> expressed in the file SRS (EPSG 2286).

I'd need to investigate to understand the behavior.  If you have a source
file with a few points and a sample pipeline/command line, I can check.
You can open a ticket.

I'll note that there is an option, a_srs, for the crop filter that
specifies the SRS for the cropping geometry (it's missing in the
documentation).  However, if you don't provide this option, the code
assumes that it's in the SRS of the input data, so it shouldn't be an issue
in this case if I understand.

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com