[pdal] pgpointcloud write incorrect wkb size

Lars laasunde at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 12 03:14:47 PDT 2018

Hello

Using PDAL 1.5, PostgreSQL 9.5 and PostGIS bundle 2.3 on Windows 7.

We have followed the instructions found at https://github.com/pgpointcloud/pointcloud
(Created database, added extensions, created pcpoint and pcpatch tables).

We have inserted a schema into pointcloud_formats (samme as https://github.com/pgpointcloud/pointcloud but without Intensity).

We have successfully insert data into pcpoint table from sql shell.
INSERT INTO pcpoint(pa) VALUES(PC_MakePoint(1, ARRAY[1,2,3]));
This results in a data blob that is 17 bytes.

However using PDAL pipeline to insert data into table causes the following error;
pc_patch_uncompressed_from_wkb: wkb size and expected size does not match.

The sql log file shows that PDAL execute the following sql statement;
INSERT INTO pcpoint(pa) VALUES('0103000000........0840');
This data blob is 37 bytes and is very different to above test (17 bytes).

The pipeline script looks like this;
{
  "pipeline": [
    {
      "type": "readers.text",
      "filename": "data.txt",
      "separator": ";"
    },
    {
      "type":"filters.chipper",
      "capacity":100
    },
    {
      "type": "writers.pgpointcloud",
      "connection": "host='localhost' dbname='aaa' port='5433' user='aaa' password='aaa'",
      "table": "pcpoint",
      "pcid":"1",
      "compression": "none"
    }
  ]
}
The data.txt file looks like this;
X;Y;Z
1.00;2.00;3.00

What are we doing wrong? How can I can make PDAL pipeline produce the correct data blob that matches the schema used in db?

Thanks.