[pdal] PDAL Windows debug configuration

Andrew Bell andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 06:18:21 PDT 2018

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 7:57 AM, Lars <laasunde at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Does 'Building under Windows' support building 'Debug' configuration (64
> bit)?
>
> We get the following compiler error under debug config;
>
> pdal_kazhdan.vcxproj -> C:\temp\xyz\lib\Debug\pdal_kazhdan.lib
> jsoncpp.lib(json_value.cpp.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for
> '_ITERATOR_DEBUG_LEVEL': value '0' doesn't match value '2' in DimBuilder.obj
> jsoncpp.lib(json_value.cpp.obj) : error LNK2038: mismatch detected for
> 'RuntimeLibrary': value 'MD_DynamicRelease' doesn't match value
> 'MDd_DynamicDebug' in DimBuilder.obj

I really don't understand what would be going on here.  Something seems
quite mixed up.  The kazhdan library has no reference to jsoncpp as far as
I can tell and nothing should be linking in DimBuilder.obj.  Perhaps it's
just the output that's confused/misleading?

What I think is happening is that you have no jsoncpp library built in
debug mode.  If you remove jsoncpp (or hide it away somewhere), PDAL should
build its own internal version with the correct compiler options.  But this
may not be what's wrong as it's hard to say without the actual command
that's causing an error.

Have you cleaned all the output from some previous build?

Do I need to manually download all 3rd party components and build them for
> debug in order for this to work?

I don't know for sure, but it may be the case.  The Windows library
compatibility issues aren't fun.

> Two minor question
> - At what point are feature-branches merged back into master branch?

There's no schedule.  Often we wait for review.

> - Does PDAL have a fixed release iterval?

Not at this time, though we try to have releases on a fairly regular basis.

--
Andrew Bell
andrew.bell.ia at gmail.com