[pdal] installing dynamic plugins help

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon Feb 26 08:50:12 PST 2018

On 2/26/18 10:46 AM, Barbara Hofmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to get the cpd and icp plugin installed but to be honest I haven't got a clue how to go about that. I have had a look through the documentation but as I haven't got a lot of experience with make files I am struggling.

ICP and CPD drivers require PCL, and PCL is not available as part of the
OSGeo4W build. A PCL-enabled build is a do-it-yourself item at the
moment. PCL is buildable on Windows, but I don't think anyone has done
the PCL + PDAL combo there. There's plenty of examples of that working
in Linux, specifically on Ubuntu, however.

> I installed pdal through OsGeo4W and as far as I can see this works. However the main reason I want to use pdal are the above mentioned plugins.
>
> To use those plugins do I have to build pdal from scratch or can the plugins be build separately? Are there any tips and tricks on how to do it without having to understand all the ins and outs of the compiling process? I have access to visual studio 2017 and cmake through it.
>
> I'm guessing there is no step by step guide on how to go about that. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The best source of Windows build tips are the AppVeyor continuous
integration scripts
https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/tree/master/scripts/appveyor