[pdal] Writer.GDAL create or expand

Lars laasunde at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 3 04:21:43 PDT 2018

Hello folks,

We have setup a pipeline with text reader, chipper and gdal writer. The text file contains XYZ data and roughly 5 million points. Running the pipeline produces a number of files where the files size and coverage area is increasing. The first tiff file is 71 kb, the second is 217 kb, the 20th is 1,8 MB, the 100th is 6,7 MB, the 600th is 47 MB etc.

We expected this pipeline to produce similar size tiff files. We have tried using a different reader but get the same output. From our point of view is appears to be an issue with the GDAL writer.

Taking a look at the source code it appears the GDALWriter::readyFile method uses the "bounds" parameter validity to decide whether to create a new grid or not. I am not sure a not specified "bounds" parameter is valid. This is just an observation.

The pipeline is attached.

Using PDAL 1.7.1 on Windows 10