[pdal] Proposal: Remove SQLite reader/writer for PDAL 2.0

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Tue Jul 30 19:43:40 PDT 2019

All,

I am proposing that we remove the SQLite drivers in the upcoming PDAL 2.0
release. I do not think these drivers are seeing much use, they do not have
a full featureset, and we are seeing some bugs creep in as PDAL interacts
with other software libraries that are using SQLite (notably GDAL).

The drivers have been their own little thing for quite a while and do not
seem to have taken off as a useful container format for point cloud data.
Given this experience, I would like to remove the burden of maintaining
from the project unless there are strong objections and corresponding
avenues of support to rally to keep it in the project.

If you have an objection, or are using this capability, we would really
like to hear about how you are using, and what it allows you to do that
cannot be achieved with some other format or approach.

Thanks,

Howard

https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/issues/2646