[pdal] OSGeo Community Sprint Recap for PDAL

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Mon May 20 09:25:36 PDT 2019

All,

The OSGeo Community Sprint saw a fury of activity by new and experienced developers alike to PDAL. I would like to thank everyone for attending and contributing activity to the PDAL codebase, and I thought I would highlight that activity here.

James McClain (new contributor!) added TIN'ing features to filters.hag https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/pull/2520 <https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/pull/2520> to make it more accurate

Kirk McKelvey (reactivated contributor!) worked to eliminate PDAL's PCL dependency by starting development of native PCD read/write support https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/pull/2526 <https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/pull/2526>

Jim Klassen worked a number of E57 issues related to normal information and omitted/hidden points. https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/pull/2530 <https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/pull/2530> https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/issues/2529 <https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL/issues/2529>

Andrew Bell worked on GDAL 3.0 / PROJ 6 SRS issues that have surfaced due to PDAL's usage of coordinate system handling in those tools. He also closed a number of bugs and and pull requests.

Vaclav Petras enhanced GRASS's PDAL ingestion routines to support stream ingestion and investigated supporting pipeline operations.

Grigory Pomadachin investigated emitting Apache Arrow data structures via the Java bindings from PDAL for use in those environments.

Brad Chambers documented the new covariancefeatures filter, removed the deprecated filters.mongus filter, and enhanced eigen operations for PDAL filters that use them.

Peter Limkilde Svendsen worked on PDAL's delaunay filter.

Thank you again for these wonderful contributions to the PDAL codebase. We had fun in Minneapolis sprinting with you. Till next time!

Howard

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jodygarnett/sets/72157708583937584/ <https://www.flickr.com/photos/jodygarnett/sets/72157708583937584/>