[pdal] USGS 3DEP point classification

Andreas Yankopolus andreas at yank.to
Mon Jun 13 10:37:53 PDT 2022

I’m trying to get a sense of how point classifications get assigned with USGS 3DEP LAZ files.

I’m seeing the following looking at tiles for around Denver, Colorado:

1 (unclassified): usually maps to foliage/structures but also water.
2 (ground): usually maps to bare earth, roads, etc.
9 (water): maps to water.
7 (low point) and 11 (road surface) generally map to spurious atmospheric returns
17 (bridge deck) generally maps to surface features and 18 (high noise) to bare earth, but only within limited scan lanes. These two puzzle me.

Anyone know how these classifications are supposed to map out?