[pdal] PDAL on colab

Howard Butler howard at hobu.co
Fri Mar 1 08:55:55 PST 2024

> On Feb 29, 2024, at 6:23 PM, lefsky at gmail.com wrote:
>
> Thanks for this- I'll be trying it out soon.
>
> One more question. Do you have any plans to add a routine to do voxelization of point clouds?
> By voxelization, I mean processing a point cloud to create a 3d array with either the number of points in each voxel or the sum of the intensities of the same points. Basically the same thing that lasvoxel does. I've seen some pdal voxelization routines, but they seem to be written with subsampling in mind. Perhaps one could be repurposed for this application?

PDAL is open source software and we have merged many pull requests from individuals who have provided useful and specific capabilities for their processing pipelines. We would be interested in merging something that applied alternative voxelization approaches, though I must point out that if you're willing to use Python we have developed an open source tool for doing that task called SilviMetric. You can find it at silvimetric.com <http://silvimetric.com/>.