[pgpointcloud] Installing PGpointcloud

"Nielsen, Thorbjørn Kjærshøj" thoni at gst.dk
Tue Aug 20 04:41:37 PDT 2013

Dear Paul,

Thanks a lot for the google doc. It is the first time with CentOS for me, so bear with me...

I have tried twice (on virtualboxes). Once with a minimal install iso and once with a liveDVD iso and I hit the same brick wall twice. First of all there are some packages not mentioned in the document (they are probably more or less obvious for most advanced users - which I am not - just mentioning them):

yum install wget
yum install gcc gcc-c++ autoconf automake
yum install make
yum install boost
yum install boost-devel
yum install git
yum install libxml2-devel
yum install python-devel
yum install numpy
yum install postgresql-libs
yum install libpqxx-devel

Following the installation instruction, I stop at

# Install PDAL from source
git clone https://github.com/PDAL/PDAL.git
mkdir PDAL-build
cd PDAL-build
cmake28 -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo \
 -DPDAL_EMBED_BOOST=ON \
 -DWITH_GDAL=ON \
 -DWITH_ICONV=ON \
 -DWITH_ORACLE=OFF \
 -DWITH_GEOTIFF=ON \
 -DWITH_LASZIP=OFF \
 -DWITH_LIBXML2=ON \
 -DWITH_PYTHON=ON \
 -DWITH_PGPOINTCLOUD=ON \
 -DPOSTGRESQL_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/pgsql-9.2/include \
 -DPOSTGRESQL_LIBRARIES=/usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/libpq.${SO_EXT} \
 ../PDAL
make && make install

When running make && make install I get:

[ 69%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/filters/Selector.cpp.o
[ 69%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/filters/Stats.cpp.o
[ 69%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/plang/BufferedInvocation.cpp.o
[ 70%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/plang/PythonEnvironment.cpp.o
/home/thor/PDAL/src/plang/PythonEnvironment.cpp: In constructor ‘pdal::plang::PythonEnvironment::PythonEnvironment()’:
/home/thor/PDAL/src/plang/PythonEnvironment.cpp:63: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to ‘char*’
[ 70%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/plang/Invocation.cpp.o
[ 71%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/plang/Redirector.cpp.o
/home/thor/PDAL/src/plang/Redirector.cpp: In static member function ‘static void pdal::plang::Redirector::init()’:
/home/thor/PDAL/src/plang/Redirector.cpp:146: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/home/thor/PDAL/src/plang/Redirector.cpp:146: warning: dereferencing pointer ‘StdoutType.113’ does break strict-aliasing rules
/home/thor/PDAL/src/plang/Redirector.cpp:146: warning: dereferencing pointer ‘StdoutType.113’ does break strict-aliasing rules
/home/thor/PDAL/src/plang/Redirector.cpp:146: note: initialized from here
[ 71%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/plang/Script.cpp.o
[ 71%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/pdal_config.cpp.o
make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/pgsql-9.2/lib/libpq.', needed by `bin/libpdal.so.0'.  Stop.
make[1]: *** [src/CMakeFiles/pdal.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
[root at localhost PDAL-build]#

Any idea what I have done wrong or how to progress from here? Am I using the right linux distribution (centos 6.4, 64bit)?

Kind regards,

Thorbjørn