[pgpointcloud] RLE and SIGBITS heuristics

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 09:09:52 PDT 2015

Here are some facts about pgpointcloud compression

5.2 Billion las points (usual suspects):
ratio 4.36 (compared to .las files)

2.15 Billion ply points (21 attributes) :
ratio 2.86 (compared to binary .ply files, already using a pivot point to
reduce digits)

Pgpointcloud is maybe not good at compressing float
70 Million stereo point cloud with XYZ+color, 2. ratio

The system can write from 1 Million to 0.2 Million pts/sec to a client,
depending on the point type

I'm in the process to measure compression/decompression time on those data

I tried to get the best ratio (thanks to recent work of @strk on uint64_t)

Cheers,
Rémi-C