[pgpointcloud] RLE and SIGBITS heuristics

Rémi Cura remi.cura at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 03:35:58 PDT 2015

Hey Oscar (and Peter),
great series of articles, the benchmark was really interesting !

I personally am adamantly against reordering the points for storage
purpose, because the order can have a strong meaning (physical or
theoretical).

For instance I re-ordered the points of my patch so that the points follows
a LOD schema.
So reading more and more points gives a better and better approximation of
the patch.
This gives free LOD facilities when all the patch have been re-ordered
(free CPU wise, and no data duplication).

Now I have to admit that efficient storage and LOD are in conflict, because
storing is about putting the similar points together somehow, and LOD is
about the opposite (kind of sequential vs random access).
This has a strong impact, for instance reordering patches randomly will
greatly increase patch storage size in pgpointcloud.
It is funny because for LOD I considered using an inverse morton curve
(interleave X Y Z , then read is backward ! ).

I'm well aware that we could simply store the original order in an
attribute, and so compression based on morton on XYZ might be transparent
for the user.

Anyway, just to say that pgpointcloud is ultimately not about storing
points, but easing point cloud usage in my opinion.

Cheers,
Rémi-C