[pgpointcloud] RLE and SIGBITS heuristics

Oscar Martinez Rubi o.martinezrubi at tudelft.nl
Fri Apr 17 02:02:37 PDT 2015

Hi,

About the XYZ binding for better compression. In our research in the NL
escience center and TU Delft we have been thinking (not testing yet
though) about one possible approach for this.

It is based on using space filling curves. So, once you have the points
that go in a block you could compute the morton/hilbert code of the XYZ.
Since all the points are close together such codes will be extremely
similar, so one could store only the increments which could fit in many
few bits. We have not tested or compared this with any of the other
compressions but we just wanted to share it with you just in case you
find it useful!

An additional improvement would be to sort the points within the blocks
according to the morton code. Then, when doing crop/filter operations in
the blocks one can use the morton codes for the queries similarly to
what we presented in our papers with the flat table (without blocks), I
attach one of them (see section 5.2). In a nutshell: You convert the
query region into a set of quadtree/octree nodes which can be also
converted to morton code ranges (thanks to relation between
morton/hilbert curve and a quadtree/octree). You scale down the ranges
to increments (like you did when storing the point of the block) and
then you simply do range queries in sorted data with a binary algorithm.
In this way you avoid the decompression of the morton code for most of
the block. This filtering is equivalent to a bbox filter so it still
requires a point in polygon check for some of the points.

Kind Regards,

Oscar.