[pgrouting-dev] APSP Implementation

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Dec 1 23:20:48 EST 2010

On 12/1/2010 11:01 PM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
> Hi Anton,
>
> I think there will be both cases. DARP/TSP might only need the matrix at
> first. But when you got your optimized tour result you had to run again
> the shortest path search to retrieve a path, which causes two problems:
>
>     * The network (conditions) might have changed if you run those path
>       queries later.

I guess this assumes the you are getting live feed data for traffic or
something like that. What are you think here? Also be aware that the
algorithms can select any of equal distance alternatives and the later
if you single shortest path it might pick a different path, which may or
may not be problematic.

>     * It might be slower to later run single shortest path queries again
>       independently

It would be interesting to enhance our single shortest path to be able
to extract multiple single shortest paths based on a single graph build.
So input might be something like

id, from, to
1, 27, 42
2. 101, 502

and the results would be

id, seq, from, to

> So an option to return only the distances or together with the path
> would be best in my opinion.
> Actually the distance would be just the length of the path, so that
> looks like "ST_length(path_geom)" to me. No?

I think we really need to get back a list of node or edges for the path
not just a geometry. We can construct the geometry from the node list,
but it is much harder to construct the node list from the geometry.

-Steve