Time Dependent data feeds Was: Re: [pgrouting-dev] Time dependent data and input format

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Tue Aug 9 11:43:36 EDT 2011

Jay,

There are three areas at the moment that use time dependent data in one
way other the other:

1. Your work which is probably most accurately aligned with traffic
feeds or other historical traffic speed information.
2. Kishore's work which is looking at statistical planning based on
schedules
3. Multi-modal routing based on schedules and exact transfer times

When these get reduced to graph theory problems, the differences have
more to do with how costs are assigned, ie how the shedule info is
organized into the weights and how they are fetched based on time. The
basic algorithms pretty much the same. Kishore's work may be somewhat if
an exception, I have not followed that as well, but I think at one point
I presented an argument that he could implement his work by remapping it
into your time dependent work, so it might be valid also.

On 8/9/2011 11:16 AM, Jay Mahadeokar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry, I somehow missed this and did not reply earlier.
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:44 PM, Stephen Woodbridge
> <woodbri at swoodbridge.com <mailto:woodbri at swoodbridge.com>> wrote:
>
>     Jay,
>
>     Starting a new thread here!
>
>     This looks interesting.
>     http://www.511.org/developer- resources_traffic-data-feed. asp
>     <http://www.511.org/developer-resources_traffic-data-feed.asp>
>
>     Click on the TRANSIT menu item - this is the application we want to
>     build :)

Ok, there is a LOT of features and function on this page and it is hard
to see all of them. But it does appear to do multi-modal (3) and support
traffic time dependent routing, among other stuff.

At the time, you were looking for time dependent traffic data and this
site did have some API's and I thought a traffic feed, but even it not a
feed, it is representative of the features and functions that we would
like in pgRouting if we were to build a site like this.

-Steve