[pgrouting-dev] Re: Network Layering support

Jay Mahadeokar jai.mahadeokar at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 04:19:23 EST 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri at swoodbridge.com
> wrote:

> I think it takes a few things to do this.
>
> 1. declare this is our goal
> 2. start a discussion on a design and interfaces
> 3. break out some smaller incremental transformations that move in that
> direction
> 4. iterate on the design and interfaces as as needed

Looks like a nice idea. I am completely unaware of opengraphrouter and its
background. Can we take this discussion to another new thread?

@Stephen and Daniel, can you list out the people who will be willing to
contribute / give desirable time to realise the above idea?

Are planning to divide it into mini projects and float it out for GSoc 2011?
This would surely encourage students to contribute and come up with required
modules provided the mentors are available for guidance.

> Mini-projects that would help with this:
>
> 1. can we repackage our solvers to run outside of postgres?
> Why? This would help define what is common between the environments and
> what is not. In turn this helps define the interface and common facilities
> that need to be created to support the code in two separate environments.
>
> 2. Have Jay get his project working in both a standalone and in pgRouting.
> The code he has already works standalone, but it will need to morth into
> code that will work in pgRouting. Again this is similar to 1.

Are you talking about the APSP code, or the CH code of Geisberger?  APSP
would work with pgRouting readily I guess. It is working as of now, but
still needs some validation checks etc.

--
Regards,
-Jay Mahadeokar