[pgrouting-dev] Re: Network Layering support

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Sun Mar 6 20:22:54 EST 2011

2011/3/4 Jay Mahadeokar <jai.mahadeokar at gmail.com>

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Stephen Woodbridge <
> woodbri at swoodbridge.com> wrote:
>

>> I think it takes a few things to do this.
>>
>> 1. declare this is our goal
>> 2. start a discussion on a design and interfaces
>> 3. break out some smaller incremental transformations that move in that
>> direction
>> 4. iterate on the design and interfaces as as needed
>>

> Looks like a nice idea. I am completely unaware of opengraphrouter and its
> background. Can we take this discussion to another new thread?

Now? Later? ... well, next time if we get into more details.

> @Stephen and Daniel, can you list out the people who will be willing to
> contribute / give desirable time to realise the above idea?

I'm afraid that Georepublic (Anton and me) can't invest much time in the
coming weeks due to other obligations.
This doesn't mean that there shouldn't be anything done then. Maybe someone
is reading this and wants to join? Then it's time to say "hello" now ;-)

> Are planning to divide it into mini projects and float it out for GSoc
> 2011? This would surely encourage students to contribute and come up with
> required modules provided the mentors are available for guidance.

Splitting into small tasks is always a good idea. Though I assume that GSoC
2011 won't have much more scholarships than the years before. And because
OSGeo tries to distribute their assigned slots equally to their projects,
there might not be more than one or two projects assigned to pgRouting. Also
Anton and I couldn't mentor more, I think.

>> Mini-projects that would help with this:
>>
>> 1. can we repackage our solvers to run outside of postgres?
>> Why? This would help define what is common between the environments and
>> what is not. In turn this helps define the interface and common facilities
>> that need to be created to support the code in two separate environments.
>>
>> 2. Have Jay get his project working in both a standalone and in pgRouting.
>> The code he has already works standalone, but it will need to morth into
>> code that will work in pgRouting. Again this is similar to 1.
>

> Are you talking about the APSP code, or the CH code of Geisberger?  APSP
> would work with pgRouting readily I guess. It is working as of now, but
> still needs some validation checks etc.

Jay, sorry that we have no time these days to try it out.
As you say it's actually ready. What about ...

   - write a documentation page with a quick example and add it here:
   http://www.pgrouting.org/docs/1.x/index.html
   (We could make some different section such as "In development" and also
   add DARP there toegther with APSP)
   - make an announcement on the mailing list
   - wait for comments and feedback

I added you to the committers for the website repository (
https://github.com/pgRouting/website) and when you add content to the
repository, the website should be automatically updated every hour or so.

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de