[pgrouting-dev] Support for Time Constraints

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Mar 28 11:05:30 EDT 2011

Last years GSoC project for OpenGraphRouter [1], implemented multimodal
routing and incorporated bus and train schedules along with time
dependent routing. So you would say what you start time was and it would
then compute the routes based on travel time, between nodes, transfer
times at stations, etc. Basically at nodes that were stations, we link
in the schedule for that stop and costs to the connecting nodes were
dynamically computed from the schedules and the arrival time at the
stop. Arrival time was based on your start time plus the travel time to
that stop.

[1] http://opengraphrouter.sourceforge.net/

It would be cool if we could use the work done here and migrate that
back to pgRouting or integrate it with the contraction highways.

I think the abstraction of this is that we need a method that gets the
cost and for regular highway nodes and edges it would mostly just return
a static value assigned to that object. But for we had time dependent
turn restrictions or we had multimodal station, it would lookup the cost
based on a schedule or timetable linked to that object.

This would allow the schedules and timetables to be hidden from the
implementation. And different types of objects could point to different
methods for computing the costs.

-Steve