[pgrouting-dev] GSoC Timeline

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Mon Apr 23 21:37:09 EDT 2012

Jinfu, Razequl,

Since I was just updating my calendar with critical GSoC dates from here:

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#timeline

I thought I would pass this on to you in case you do not have it handy.
Please make sure you have these dates in your calendar so you can plan
around them. Many of these are hard deadlines that we need to meet to
keep your project in good standing with Google.

I'm sure you guys are busy with exams and curriculum deadlines but
between now and May 21th is also your time to get a head start on your
projects by reading pgRouting documentation, code, setting up a build
and test environment, getting to know us better, asking questions, etc.
This is a good time to think about how you will actually break down you
project in detail and discuss that with us.

We like to use the pgrouting-dev list for general discussions because
then you can get responses for Daniel, Jay and/or myself and other users
and developers my have some valuable insights also. Any given
question/answer is likely to provide insight to others as well. Also,
Daniel is in Japan, I am in the Boston, Mass USA area, and I think Jay
is in India. Given the wide range of timezones, we are more likely to
get you answers quicker by using the list.

How to get started:

0. Read these:
https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/wiki/Developer---Getting-Started

http://download.osgeo.org/pgrouting/forum/pgrouting.postlbs.org/wiki/pgRoutingDocs.html

1. Let us know if you are using Linux or Windows? Linux is easier for us
to support. So hopefully, you have access to a Linux machine.
2. Check out the TRSP branch from github. - Need help? Ask :)
3. Build it. - Need help? Ask.
4. Install it. - Need help? Ask.
5. Try out the Workshops & Tutorials
6. I have some simple test cases for trsp, somewhere, I will post a link
to download it.
7. Look at the flow of control from SQL, to plpgsql function, to C
wrappers, to C++ code in the extra/trsp/* files. Ask questions so you
understand this. You will need to mirror this flow for your project.
8. start planning out your project in terms of how you will integrate
your code using the above trsp as a model.

Ok, this is a lot of stuff, but you have some time. My goal here is to
lay out high level tasks in an order that will make your project flow
smoothly. The key is communications. Please let us know what you are
doing? We are here to help you and guide you to a successful conclusion.

Jay, Roni - since you have both been GSoC students and recently worked
on various projects in pgRouting, feel free to jump in with any thoughts
hints, etc.

Best regards,