[pgrouting-dev] [pgrouting] bi-directional shortest path merge is crashing back-end (#90)

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Sat Jun 1 06:51:18 PDT 2013

On 6/1/2013 6:37 AM, Daniel Kastl wrote:
> The example in the documentation now works with |pgr_bdAstar|, but it
> still crashes the server with |pgr_bdDijkstra|.
>
> For |pgr_bdAstar| the same issue as |pgr_drivingDistance| applies, which
> requires to reconnect to the Postgresql server after installation with
> |CREATE EXTENSION postgis;|.

> <https://github.com/pgRouting/pgrouting/issues/90#issuecomment-18786895>.

I asked about this on the postgresql list and Tom Lane suggests that we
probably have a memory use issue and the we should do our testing using
a server built with --enable-cassert. He also suggests that the fact
that some functions run and other fail is not a good indication that
things are getting done correctly. :(

The debian packaged 9.2 that I'm using does not have that option set. I
need to look into how to rebuild the package with that set.

Since 90% of our C code wrappers are all patterned after after the
original dijkstra shortest path wrapper, it is likely that with we have
memory issues with one we might have them with all out wrappers, which
is a depressing thought.

Anyway, we need to understand and resolve this issue.