[pgrouting-dev] Routing instructions/Nav directions on pgRouting

Paulo Figueiras paf at uninova.pt
Thu Nov 28 03:43:16 PST 2013

Greetings.

I am a portuguese developer and I just started using pgRouting as my
routing engine. I chose it because it is very flexible and scalable, and it
is based on a relational database.

This offers me other types of functionalities that normal routing engines
don't.

Even so, I need a higher-level functionality, namely route instructions or
navigation directions, that pgRouting does not provide for now (I think).

I read some forum posts from people that had the same problem as me. Some
of them are really old (more than 2 years). I found two ways of doing that:

   - One way is to implement a instruction algorithm, such as the one
described here:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pgrouting-users/2011-January/000537.html

   - The other way is to have an external service to do that, such as,
http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/RoutingInstructions

Now, my question is that neither one of the approaches to having navigation
directions from a pgRouting route is optimized or well documented.

Are there any new alternatives to these two approaches? If not, is there a
more developed solution to the route instructions issue (commonly called
Driving Directions issue) ?

Thanks in advance for your help. Cheers,

--

Paulo Figueiras <paf at uninova.pt <%3Crddc at uninova.pt>>

[image: cid:image002.jpg at 01C8AEC7.2F6E45A0] <http://www.uninova.pt/>

UNINOVA, Centre of Technology and Systems
Campus da Caparica, Quinta da Torre
2829-516 Monte Caparica, PORTUGAL

Phone: (+351) 212948312 | Fax: (+351) 212957786 | Website:
http://www.uninova.pt/