[pgrouting-dev] Routing instructions/Nav directions on pgRouting

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Nov 28 04:53:09 PST 2013

On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Paulo Figueiras <paf at uninova.pt> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> I am a portuguese developer and I just started using pgRouting as my
> routing engine. I chose it because it is very flexible and scalable, and it
> is based on a relational database.
>
> This offers me other types of functionalities that normal routing engines
> don't.
>
> Even so, I need a higher-level functionality, namely route instructions or
> navigation directions, that pgRouting does not provide for now (I think).
>
> I read some forum posts from people that had the same problem as me. Some
> of them are really old (more than 2 years). I found two ways of doing that:
>
>    - One way is to implement a instruction algorithm, such as the one
> described here:
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pgrouting-users/2011-January/000537.html
>
>    - The other way is to have an external service to do that, such as,
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/RoutingInstructions
>
> Now, my question is that neither one of the approaches to having
> navigation directions from a pgRouting route is optimized or well
> documented.
>
> Are there any new alternatives to these two approaches? If not, is there a
> more developed solution to the route instructions issue (commonly called
> Driving Directions issue) ?

Hi Paulo,

As you have already said, this question came up quite a few times already.
I think the reason, why there is no out-of-the-box solution yet, is, that
it is very difficult (probably impossible) to provide this kind of driving
instructions in a way that it works for any (road) network.
And beside the variety of data there are also lots of languages.

If you (or someone else) is able to draft a concept how to produce driving
directions in a smart way, that it does not depend on a specific dataset or
language, then such a functionality would be a valuable contribution ...
which might even attract some funding ;)

Regards,

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: http://georepublic.de