[pgrouting-dev] difference between st_convexhull andpgr_pointsAsPolygon

Ko Nagase nagase at georepublic.co.jp
Fri Apr 17 05:26:30 PDT 2015

Hi list,

I think that removing "Alpha Shape" function from pgRouting,
then moving it to SFCGAL extension may be good for modularity.
(I don't know well about SFCGAL and its PostGIS binding,
but will it be "SFCGAL::algorithm::alphaShape" and "ST_AlphaShape" ?)

In my understanding, PostGIS "ST_ConcaveHull" algorithm is a bit different from
CGAL "Alpha Shape" function, so adding "ST_AlphaShape" (or "ST_Isochrone" ?)
will be necessary in that case.

=====
[ST_ConcaveHull]
http://postgis.net/docs/manual-dev/ST_ConcaveHull.html
[CGAL 4.6 - 2D Alpha Shapes: User Manual]
http://doc.cgal.org/latest/Alpha_shapes_2/index.html
=====

Also, porting osrm-isochrone to PostGIS itself may be an another possibility.

> FYI. Here is a driving distance tools based on NodeJs that is part of
> mapbox.
>
> https://github.com/mapbox/osrm-isochrone

Just my idea.

Regards,