[pgrouting-dev] Want to contribute to pgrouting

Daniel Kastl daniel at georepublic.de
Thu Feb 4 06:54:26 PST 2021

Hi Riya,

For pgRouting you need a PostgreSQL database, which is named "routing" in
the workshop and "mydatabase" in the Readme. But you can give it any name.
"psql" is the command of PostgreSQL that you execute in a Terminal window.
It has multiple command line options, that you can see with "psql --help".
For example you may need to provide a different username or a hostname,
port number, etc.. In the workshop for example that the workshop username
also exists as a database user.

You have two ways to execute SQL commands: either you first connect to the
database and run your commands "inside" the database with SQL commands as
in the workshop, or you pass the SQL command with the "-c" parameter.

After you create a database you need to load PostGIS and pgRouting as
extension, because they are a PostgreSQL extension.
The software is smart enough to also install PostGIS, if you run "CREATE
EXTENSION pgRouting CASCADE". It's basically the same as in the workshop.

I hope this helps,
Daniel

eMail: daniel.kastl at georepublic.de
Web: https://georepublic.info