[pgrouting-dev] GSoC second term

Vicky Vergara vicky at georepublic.de
Mon Aug 8 08:33:28 PDT 2022

Hello Shobhit, Nitish, Manas

First of all, let me tell you that I have enjoyed having you as part of the
pgRouting community and you look forward to the continued solid
communication.

Remember that there are weekly revisions on the second term, communication

will be in written form. Either on the pgRouting public chat, or on the PR,
or by mail.

No stream meetings on the second term.

Please if you have a blocker (aka you got stuck):
* Make a detailed comment on the PR. aka place to write all the ideas
before making them open to the public
* Create a topic on gitter chat and copy/paste

* Send mail to the mailing lists that you normally send your reports to.

You can always reference the blocker For example
On the pgRouting-dev mailing list:

https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/pgrouting-dev/2022-August/002292.html

You can on a thread for Manas, where it is distinguishable that mentors do
not have all the questions or all answers for that matter.

You know that most of the weeks I streamed a revision, generally on
Wednesday/Thursday some on Friday, you were there, and for example when
Nitish could not be there he mentioned it.

I am not THE mentor, I just happen to stream and those streams became
meetings.
There are more mentors, Ashish, Daniel and Veenit that can help you.

A major concern is communication, the lack of it delivers unforeseen
consequences.

I thank you for replying to the announcements of the stream meetings, and
90% of the time, you had your PR’s ready for the review. You attended the
streaming/meeting sessions. You did communicate plans for next week and
thankfully, you did not have any blockers, maybe you did, but never
mentioned them?.

Scrolling into booths chats, you can see the level of communication that
happened within the mentors and the students.

I must mention that at the second week, it was announced that the PR was
crucial:

All three of you acted on the announcement. That is you made sure that most
of the time that was done.

There was a time, with Manas, that a PR might not have been required
because of the problems he was having.

Making a PR after the review day on all weeks, was not the case with any of
you.

>From the last meeting we had, where a major revision was done, One of the
students did not attend nor had the PR ready for me to make a review to
assign tasks for the end of the program.

It was mentioned on the last review that: I have duties in the FOSS4G 2022
in Florence and I can’t stream anymore.
That doesn’t mean that I can’t see the PR’s and make comments about them.

You, all three, attended the big revision that took 2 days, and the tasks
to be done to the end of the program are listed here:
https://github.com/pgRouting/GSoC-pgRouting/issues/239

https://github.com/pgRouting/GSoC-pgRouting/issues/238

https://github.com/pgRouting/GSoC-pgRouting/issues/237

As you can see, none of them include making the final PR to the pgRouting
repository. Not making that final PR is not a failure in the program.
Probably it would include that task if I was available for streaming on how
to do it.

Also, Note that the tasks need to be finished, but it never mentions that
all tests should pass.
>From the conversation we had during that stream, probably you might finish
way before the program ends.

Work as follows:
On the PR where you consider the project as almost finished, give a
statement about it on the report, you need to be very clear about why you
consider it done.

Probably one week or two might be needed for some details that you need to
do, or maybe, it is completed with that PR.
But be certain that the scope of the tasks mentioned on the issues above
will not change.

Manas is almost there, he still has to make the OR-tools example done and
if it was me I wouldn’t have it easy, I don’t know python. And he is doing
something that maybe no onein the community has done, using a a very a
complex library in python with PostgreSQL

We are considering all the effort Manas made to have the OR-Tools in the
C++ version to be compiled within vrpRouting  in the first 5 or so weeks.
We, mentors, came to realize that such a task by itself is a project on its
own.
We are certain that he worked more hours than required, due to the size of
his proposal, in desperation of not finishing the project he proposed.
So by mentor’s decision, his proposal was adjusted to only have
python/or-tools work on vrpRouting with an example from the OR-tools
documentation.

For the three of you, unlike other years you are not required to make the
final PR to the pgRouting main repository. There is always a first time for
everything, and this is the first time that that requirement is not needed
to succeed on the program.
Manas proposal objectives are adjusted according to the work and efforts
done during the first part of the program.

But that flexibility came because of the communication that was maintained
by you.

Finally for the final report, by keeping the wiki up to date, like you have
been doing every week, then the final report is just that link to the wiki.

We really hope that you can give the final push to finish the tasks that
are remaining.
And finish the GSoC program successfully.

Regards
Vicky

--

Georepublic UG (haftungsbeschränkt)