[postgis-devel] loader incompatibility

Chris Hodgson chodgson at refractions.net
Mon Apr 4 09:37:08 PDT 2005

Markus Schaber wrote:

>>Maybe just something regarding this issue in the release notes and/or
>>README or a README.upgrading would be enough to let people know they
>>should rename their 0.9 shp2pgsql if they need to keep it.
>>

>That's a good idea. Could you post a patch or text snipped that we can
>check in?

Sure... not sure where the best place to put it is, but how about
something like:
-----
WARNING: The version of shp2pgsql installed by PostGIS 1.0 is not
compatible with previous versions of PostGIS. If you are migrating from
an earlier version(s) of PostGIS, and will be continuing to maintain
databases using previous version(s) of PostGIS, you may wish to copy
your pre-existing version of shp2pgsql to a different name (perhaps
shp2pgsql_old) before it is overwritten by the PostGIS 1.0 installation.
If you do not keep a copy of your pre-existing shp2pgsql, you will have
difficulty loading data into your older PostGIS databases.
-----

Now that I think a bit more about it, I don't know how many people this
will really affect - I just now that it would affect us here at
Refractions, as we have MANY PostGIS databases, of all different
versions, spread accross several different servers. That said, it
wouldn't be that painful to have to recompile an older shp2pgsql... but
it's nice to give people some advance warning before you pull the old
rug out from under them (even if they're supposed to be standing on the
new rug).

Chris