[postgis-devel] autoconf paths

strk at refractions.net strk at refractions.net
Fri Apr 15 07:53:08 PDT 2005

I started working on pgsql source code requirement drop.
One of the problems (apart from linking flags and other
OS/Compiler/Arch-specific things) is installation paths.

Currently PostGIS gets installed under PGSQL installation
tree. Should we instead create a postgis-specific install
layout ? Something like:

	PREFIX/doc <-- the postgis manual, README and similar
	PREFIX/man <-- loader/dumper manual pages
	PREFIX/bin <-- loader/dumper/utils
	PREFIX/share <-- sql scripts, regression tests

As often happen, if PREFIX is not specified might be worth to modify
some paths to contain an explicit 'postgis' suffix, like in:

	PREFIX/doc/postgis/
	PREFIX/share/postgis/

Note that this is a problem because pg_config won't tell us
where is postgresql installed.

Thoughts ?